01. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Spoke to a mental health professional, albeit only for initial assessments. I'm worried that I can't really decide what I want to get out of it. To feel better about myself? To be less terrified in social situations?
02. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I can't even remember if I made any. I think I was gonna go climbing more? I did go "more" but not much. I'd like to start going back to the gym but I don't know if I want to make a resolution of it. I'd be happy if I could do it up until summer; this year I had to stop in July after an accident and august was too busy, and after that I'd lost the momentum.
03. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, but a good few friends and friendly acquaintances did.
04. Did anyone close to you die?
No. My grandfather died, but I didn't really know him and he was thoroughly unpleasant.
05. What countries did you visit?
I visited Barcelona, Stockholm, Newcastle and Luanda for significant lengths of time. So Spain, Sweden, England and Angola.
06. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A mutually rewarding and fun relationship. I guess I briefly had one in 2013, but it can't have been that great or it would have lasted longer.
07. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm crap at remembering dates. This year was ok but I don't think anything especially significant happened to me; some pretty big stuff happened to my immediate family - my brother got engaged, aforementioned death - but they're not the sort of things that give noticeable immediate change. Plus I can't remember the dates.
08. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Erm. Uh-oh. I guess finally sorting out seeing a counsellor? Also starting to go to they gym, but I didn't keep that up. It can count if I start to go again.
09. What was your biggest failure?
Stopping going to the gym! It was good for me. The injury and august hyper-busyness were legitimate excuses but I haven't had one since. That's not too bad as far as failures go I guess.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I bruised or cracked a rib, that was pretty sore for a few weeks, and put an end to my gym visits.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
While I bought loads of stuff, most of this years' best material things are stuff I already had, and the non-material things I bought weren't that great. I didn't even buy this awesome dragon onesie I'm wearing, my mum did. Hopefully the photography evening course I'm starting at the end of January will be the best thing I bought; I've wanted to do it for ages but only managed to book when they started taking online bookings. I kept trying to book too early or too late before.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Various close friends for no particular reasons other than being being good friends; chris, jules, tara, jess get special mention.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Our horrible government. Some of the media. I was a bit depressed at my own sometimes, though I don't think I did anything awful.
14. Where did most of your money go?
rent and bills and food first. Then, photo and video equipment probably.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Not a lot. I don't really do that level of excited these days. I'm quite excited by that photography course.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Hmm. Spitfire by Public Service Broadcasting, after I had to listen to it every day in August because it was preshow music. I quite like the track though.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
a) probably a bit happier
b) probably a bit fatter
c) richer, but not by much.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
travelling, dancing, kissing pretty girls.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
moping about being a miserable sod.
20. How will you spend Christmas?
At home with my family eh.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
22. What was your favorite TV programme?
Breaking Bad, with Game of Thrones second. That red wedding, ugh.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Did I read IQ84 this year? hmm. The last thing I read was Stonemouth by Iain Banks, which was pretty good. The Long Earth was really good too.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I've been listening to a lot of chvrches lately. They're great. Finally got into errors and arcade fire too.
26. What did you want and get?
Enough money to live comfortably.
27. What did you want and not get?
see question 6.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
Pacific Rim was pretty good if you ignore the gaping stupidity of much of it.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
32. I can't remember. Apparently I was in stockholm, facebook says. Well, just outside stockholm in the archipelago in a holiday cottage. it was pretty nice.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
see question 6
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
jeans and t-shirts innit.
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
none spring to mind.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
fucking tory scumbastards.
35. Who did you miss?
australian friends, sarah when she went to NZ, jade when she moved out.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Um. dunno. didn't meet all that many new folk.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
...onesies are great? Um.